Monsters are simple programs created by X.A.N.A. to be its minions in the virtual world. They are directly virtualized into Lyoko and are primarily used to fight the Lyoko Warriors. According to codelyoko.fr, X.A.N.A. uses a base template which is used to make it easier to create new monsters.
X.A.N.A. virtualizes monsters to use as minions inside of the virtual world. In place of avatars, they are made to interact with Lyoko's sectors, and mostly uses them to fight the Lyoko Warriors and enemies in the virtual world, guard its activated Towers, and attack targets that it wants deactivated or destroyed. X.A.N.A. is also capable of launching programs from their lasers onto targets.
When the goal has been lost or fulfilled, X.A.N.A. either makes them retreat or devirtualize them at will, proving that all of its monsters are merely tools to do its bidding.
Monsters are created from a basic template program, with all their characteristics, allowing X.A.N.A. to create many monsters, all almost identical. This would correspond to the program created by Jeremie to virtualize vehicles. In some episodes, such as Marabounta, X.A.N.A. virtualizes creatures directly in the field as Jeremie does with the Lyoko Warriors.
X.A.N.A.'s monsters take up resources on whichever supercomputer holding the virtual world they fight on. It is capable of sending hordes as seen in The Chips Are Down, but continues to virtualize a few at a time to save machine resources. This is also demonstrated with the Kolossus, which can only be created using the combined power of multiple Replikas around the world network.
When monsters fall into the Digital Sea, they are deleted. The destruction of their virtual envelope corresponds to their complete disappearance within the virtual world. Most of them have relatively simple artificial intelligence.
Most monsters have the ability to aim their laser, though they do not seem to do so often. This is shown from the monster's point of view, which is dominated by a trisected, white circle. When targeting something, an upside-down, red triangle follows what they intend to shoot. When it locks on, the red triangle centers within the circle and three red lines connect each vertex of the triangle to the circle. Only a few monsters have directly demonstrated this targeting system, but it is safe to assume that others utilize the same system.
Monsters on Lyoko
- Kankrelats: These monsters are X.A.N.A.'s weakest creatures, but arguably the most versatile. They usually attack in large swarms. They are much faster than Bloks, and are fairly hard to hit because of their small stature. Sometimes they attack from surprise.
- Hornets: These are the first monsters that are capable of flight, and are one of the few to have more than one attack. They can fire rapid-fire lasers from their stingers and spray poisonous acid from their heads.
- Bloks: They are one of X.A.N.A.'s most used monsters. Bloks have three different attacks: standard laser, rings of flame, and freeze ray (which can immobilize its target in ice for exactly three minutes). However, with an eye on each side of their 'heads' (four in all), their major weakness is that hitting any eye can destroy them.
- Krabs: They are arguably the tallest of monsters, the most versatile, and generally found in groups of two or three. They can use their legs to stab their enemies, and fire strong lasers from their eyes. In The Chips Are Down and Wreck Room, they demonstrated the ability to project pulse beams from underneath them. This is the only monster that can be destroyed by cutting off its legs.
- Megatanks: These are one of X.A.N.A.'s most powerful monsters. They are huge armored spheres with indestructible armored outer-casing. They attack with a powerful elliptical laser that can run straight in all vertical directions. To do this attack, it must expose its support ring the laser is fired out of where the Eye is under its armor, making it vulnerable in that moment.
- Tarantulas: They were first introduced in New Order, they were depicted as X.A.N.A.'s deadliest monsters. They are excellent shots and are very durable. They can fire ray beams from the tips of their front legs that take twenty life-points per impact. As of Evolution, however, they now fire ray beams from their heads.
- Creepers: They are exclusively found in Sector Five. Creepers are very powerful snake-like monsters that attack by firing lasers from their mouths, which take forty life-points with each impact.
- Mantas: The strongest flying monsters. They are large manta ray-like creatures with strong lasers, and can also hatch floating mines. They can fly through the air, but are slower than Hornets. As revealed in Temporary Insanity, when joined together like two halves of a single blaster, they can fire a beam implanted with a virus of X.A.N.A.'s own programing, which in the case of that episode was infecting Odd and Ulrich with a virus that reversed their perspectives of Earth and Lyoko.
- Kongres: Found only in the Digital Sea. They have the appearance of giant piranha eel monsters. They are the most common monsters seen in the Digital Sea and have only one laser weapon, which is fired from their eyes.
- Sharks: Only found in the Digital Sea. Shark-like creatures that attack by shooting torpedoes from their mouths.
- Kalamar: Found only in the Digital Sea. It attacks by latching onto its target and drilling into it.
- Scyphozoa: One of X.A.N.A.'s most valuable pawns. It has the appearance of a giant jellyfish and is very difficult to destroy. It has the ability to drain the knowledge, DNA, and life force from a victim with its tentacles. It can also implant a virus within its victim, as well as possess its mind. Aelita has been its only real target, but it has attacked Yumi once and William twice.
- Kolossus: X.A.N.A.'s biggest and strongest monster ever. Created by drawing computing power from the hundreds of Replikas that it has established all over the Internet. It has the appearance of a giant fire and earth elemental being, with a sword replacing its left hand. Its body is indestructible and one attack from it results in instant devirtualization. The only way to destroy it was to simultaneously attack the Eye of X.A.N.A. on its head and its left sword arm.
Video Game Only Monsters
|Jeremie Belpois | Aelita Schaeffer | Odd Della Robbia | Yumi Ishiyama | Ulrich Stern | William Dunbar|
|Sissi | Jim Morales | Suzanne Hertz | Anthea Schaeffer | Mr. Delmas | Laura Gauthier | Franz Hopper|
|Kiwi | Herb Pichon | Nicholas Poliakoff | Amelia "Milly" Solovieff | Tamiya Diop | Hiroki Ishiyama | Johnny | Takeo and Akiko Ishiyama|
|X.A.N.A. | Monsters|
|Professor Tyron | Ninjas | X.A.N.A. William|
|Jean-Baptiste Pujol | Theo Gauthier | Emily LeDuc | Taelia | Samantha Knight | Samantha Suarez | Heidi Klinger | Mathias Burrel | Magali de Vasseur | Claire Girard | Brynja Heringsdötir | Patrick Belpois | Romain Le Goff|
|X.A.N.A. Aelita | X.A.N.A. Odd | X.A.N.A. Yumi | X.A.N.A. Ulrich | X.A.N.A. Franz Hopper | X.A.N.A. Anthea Schaeffer | Jeremie Clone | Aelita Clone | William Clone | Subdigitals|