|Twin blades? Perfect for getting a close shave!|
–Ulrich admiring his dual katanas in Double Take.
The Katana is Ulrich's one and only weapon while on Lyoko. He had only one throughout the first three seasons, but gains an additional katana in the fourth season thanks to Jeremie's "digital upgrades and modifications."
Like any swordsman, Ulrich fights using a series of stabs and slashes with his katana. Because his weapon has such limited range, Ulrich relies heavily on his Super Sprint ability in combat, which allows him to quickly get within striking range of his target and then retreat. For defense, Ulrich's swords are capable of absorbing standard laser fire or reflecting it back at the monsters and may even block a Megatank's circular laser for a short period of time. Whenever the katana does so, or whenever it is swung or used to combat other weapons like X.A.N.A. William's Zweihänder, it glows blue.
In the first three seasons, Ulrich only has one katana, and carries it in a traditional Japanese saya, or scabbard. In the fourth season, he gains a second sword, which slightly alters his fighting style. Ulrich's updated avatar also includes a small device attached to his upper back with slots into which he may place his swords when not using them.
Like Yumi's fans, Ulrich's katana may be dropped, stolen, or destroyed when damaged, and Ulrich may require new swords to be virtualized to him. Also, like the fans, the sword seems to remain intact even if Ulrich himself is devirtualized, provided he throws it before being hit.
In the episode Franz Hopper, Ulrich's katana was temporarily updated so that it could fire energy slashes to destroy several enemies at once from a distance. This upgrade was given to him by X.A.N.A. where it sent a spectre to impersonate Franz Hopper in order to gain the group's trust and manipulate them into rejecting Jeremie. However, this upgrade is lost later in the episode, nor is it mentioned to Jeremie.
Also, in Nobody in Particular, when Ulrich's mindless avatar got possessed, X.A.N.A. granted his sword the ability to emit a greenish beam of electrical energy to destroy The Heart of Lyoko. However, this ability was lost after Ulrich got reunited in body and spirit.
Ulrich's swords are virtually identical to real-world Japanese katana. The swords have black guards and yellow handles covered with black braided cloth. The blades are metallic grey in color and glow blue when being used for direct combat.
- Throughout the series, Ulrich's weapons are referred to intermittently as "sabres", "katana", or simply "swords".
- In Garage Kids, the blade of the katana was made out of binary code that glowed blue continuously and needed to be charged before usage.
- In A Bad Turn, In Earth, Ulrich used a katana similar to his own in Lyoko, belonging to Yumi's father, to defend her and her family from a materialized Krab.
- When a katana is stolen by a person who is possessed by X.A.N.A., its blade glows red instead of blue. It also glowed red when it was about to be destroyed by Hornet in The Pretender.
- The word "Katana" is a Japanese loadword. It's written as "刀" in Kanji, and "かたな" in Hiragana. It's almost never written in Katakana: "カタナ". Interestingly, the symbol for "Katana" is actually the origin of the Katakana symbol for "Ka", which in chain influenced its Hiragana counterpart.
- Ulrich's katanas have a slight resemblence to Vergil's Yamato in Devil May Cry, such as the katana can reflect and emit waves of energy channelled through it in a strong slash, the scabard is usually shown with it and not with it, the sword is forged from tremendous energies, and the speed can amplify the range of attacks. However, the difference between Ulrich's katana and Vergil's is that the Yamato never needed to be replaced with a new katana if it was damaged, but it can greatly affect the entire storyline if it was seriously lost.
- It is revealed in Wrong Exposure that Ulrich has taught Aelita how to use his swords, to the point where she can match him in a fight.