Hornets resemble a legless mosquito/wasp with five pairs of thin wings adorned with digital-like veins. They can fly at speeds comparable to the Vehicles. Hornets usually travel in swarms of three or five with each swarm consisting of a leader and two to four wingmates, though they have been shown to travel in larger groups. Like all of X.A.N.A.'s monsters, the Hornets' weak point is the Eye of X.A.N.A. located on their forehead. Hornets can also be defeated if their wings get sliced off, as shown by Yumi's fans in A Lack of Goodwill. Usually, Hornets fight the best in the Mountain Sector due to the tall mountains they can hide behind, as revealed in Rock Bottom?.
Hornets have two weapons. Hornets usually attack their targets with a laser shot from their tail, the laser dealing 20 points of damage. In season 1, Hornets are able to rapidly fire their laser at their targets, but this was removed from seasons 2-4. Hornets also attack with a poisonous liquid sprayed from their massive proboscis. The poison drains the health points of the Hornet's target at variable amounts. The toxic liquid can also create puddles that release damaging smog (this was only seen in the episodes Satellite and Swarming Attack). Hornet can also tackle their enemies.
- Hornets are one of the only two monsters that are capable of flight; the other being the Mantas.
- A Hornet can kill itself if it hits a barrier when flying very fast, as shown in A Bad Turn.
- Odd was the only Lyoko Warrior ever to get damaged by their toxic spray, though Aelita came close to being hit by it.
- In the Facebook game, they are called Frelions, which is the French name of the Hornets.
- Hornets are the only monsters of the original group (Krabs, Kankrelats, Megatanks, Bloks, and Hornets) that don't make any appearances in Code Lyoko Evolution.
- In the comics, Hornets shoot from their beaks.
- When a target is in a confined space or immobile, they will circle around the target and fire from all angles.
- They utilize their speed to do attack runs on targets, quickly flying in with a barrage of lasers and leaving just as fast.
Prequel & Seasons 1-4
|Kankrelats | Hornet | Blok | Krab | Megatank | Creeper | Manta | Black Manta | Guardian | Tarantula | Scyphozoa | Kolossus|
|Spectre | Polymorphic Clone|
|Kongre | Shark | Kalamar|
|Video games only|
|Cyberhopper | Exploding Roachsters | Scorpion | Insekt | Dark Monster | Volcanoid | Ubertank | Omegatank | Mountain Bug | Insekt Lord | Ice Spider | Desert Driller | Magma Worm|